Micro-CT in Life Science & Biological Research
We now offer Bruker SkyScan Micro-CT systems for biological applications. Having been their official distributor for material science applications in the UK and Nordic region for several years, this partnership is now expanded to include life science.
To introduce the range, here’s an overview of their high resolution microtomography systems for life science micro-CT and their applications.Follow @blue_scientific
Life Science Micro-CT Applications
Micro-CT is 3D internal X-ray imaging at micrometre scale. It’s extremely flexible, non-destructive and can be used to scan all kinds of samples. If your area of interest isn’t mentioned here, please get in touch.
- In vivo and ex vivo small animals
- Teeth and dental applications
- Lung imaging
- Biological materials
In Vivo and Ex Vivo Scanning
High resolution microtomography for preclinical imaging, including disease and regenerative medicine research. Scan the full body in less than 8 seconds, with low dosage.
- Full body scanning of live small animals
- Contrast agents
- Spine microstructure
- Fat distribution analysis
- Time-resolved heart beats
A physiological monitoring subsystem is available for real-time movement detection, ECG and breathing detection and temperature stabilisation.
Micro-CT is faster than histology and slicing – a scan can be acquired in 10-15 minutes (medium resolution) or a few hours (at the highest resolution) and generate a full 3D reconstruction in minutes.
- Bone structure
- Pre-clinical imaging
- Bone volume analysis
Micro-CT is highly detailed, delivering fine images at micrometre scale for dental research. It’s non-destructive, so scans can be taken repeatedly, with virtual slices and flights to examine your sample.
- Morphometric analysis of dental and bone tissue
- Endodontic research and root canal
- Segment and measure enamel and dentine
- Molar roots and mandible in periodontics and other dental fields
Root Canal Studies
Watch a 2-part interview with Dr Marco Versiani about 3D root canal studies at the University of Sao Paulo:
The Bruker SkyScan range includes compact, desktop instruments and high capacity systems for larger samples. If you’d like more information or advice on which would suit your lab, please get in touch.
- SkyScan 1276 – Desktop in vivo scanner for small animals and biological samples.
- SkyScan 1275 – Fast, automated, benchtop scanner with self-optimising features.
- SkyScan 2214 – Advanced nanotomography for the widest range of object sizes and resolutions, including ex vivo lung imaging and tumour vascularisation.
- SkyScan 1272 – Highest resolution desktop scanner.
- SkyScan 1278 – Fast, ultra low dose and high-throughput in-vivo microtomography.
We’re available to offer advice and answer all your questions – just get in touch: