Micro-CT is a non-destructive 3D imaging and analysis technique, for studying the internal structure of all types of samples, with diameters from 1 mm to 20cm and full drill cores. Take virtual slices through objects and build stacks for 3D volume rendering.
Left: 3D mineral distribution of gold deposits.
See inside your sample with non-destructive 3D X-ray imaging
Micro-CT is used in all areas of geology including:
- 3D mineral distribution
- 3D analysis of shape and morphometries, including grains, sedimentary patterns, fossils, etc
- Multi-scale analysis
- Dynamic processes eg weathering, movement of fluids, crystallisation
All fields of geoscience:
- Oil and gas
- Structural geology
- Construction materials
Scanning a sample with the Bruker SkyScan 2214
Select Complex Regions of Interest
ROIs are rarely regular, especially in rock samples. Bruker’s micro-CT software has powerful features for making selections and extracting the data you need.
Measure Grains Individually
With Bruker’s watershed separation algorithm, you can analyse grains and particles individually, even if they’re closely packed.
Observe Dynamic Processes
Image dynamic processes with step-by-step timelapse and in real time methods. This is known as 4D micro-CT.
Extract and combine information from various length scales to quantify and model the overall sample behaviour.
Webinar: Micro-CT in Geosciences
Watch a webinar from Bruker introducing micro-CT and its applications in geology and geoscience.
- X-ray Micro-CT in Conjuction with Other Techniques for Core Analysis – Read the paper…
- Visualisation of fracture formation in porous limestone – Read the paper…
- Quantifying Porosity in Sandstone: How to assess accuracy? – Read the paper…
- Micro-CT/Micro-XRF Study of Reservoir Rocks – Read the paper…
- Applications of μCT in Metamorphic and Igneous Petrology – Read the paper…
- Visualisation of Phases inside a Porous Medium with X-ray microCT – Read the paper…
- Resolution Dependency of Sandstone’s Physical Properties – Read the paper…
- X-ray microtomography as a Visualization Tool for Fluid-Rock Interaction in the OceanicCrust – Read the paper…
- Isolation Technique for Reconstruction and Visualisation of Cracks in Geothermal Reservoir Rock – Read the paper…
- Oil Reservoir Rock Characterisation and Fluid Segmentation – Read the paper…
- Exploring Pore Contents in Ignimbrite – Read the paper…
Bruker SkyScan 1275
Automated, benchtop micro-CT with self-optimising features, so you can scan at the press of a button. Extremely fast image reconstruction – a practical way to add micro-CT capabilities to your facility.
Bruker SkyScan 2214
Multiscale nano-/micro-CT covering the widest range of resolutions. Sub-micron resolution and the world’s fastest hierarchical 3D reconstruction.
Bruker SkyScan 1273
Benchtop scanner for large and/or heavy objects up to 20kg. Ideal for rock samples, drill cores, etc.