Micro-CT is a non-destructive 3D imaging and analysis technique, for studying the internal structure of all types of samples, with diameters from 1 mm to 20cm and full drill cores. Take virtual slices through objects and build stacks for 3D volume rendering.
Left: 3D mineral distribution of gold deposits.
See inside your sample with non-destructive 3D X-ray imaging
Micro-CT is used in all areas of geology including:
- 3D mineral distribution
- 3D analysis of shape and morphometries, including grains, sedimentary patterns, fossils, etc
- Multi-scale analysis
- Dynamic processes eg weathering, movement of fluids, crystallisation
All fields of geoscience:
- Oil and gas
- Structural geology
- Construction materials
Scanning a sample with the Bruker SkyScan 2214
Select Complex Regions of Interest
ROIs are rarely regular, especially in rock samples. Bruker’s micro-CT software has powerful features for making selections and extracting the data you need.
Observe Dynamic Processes
Image dynamic processes with step-by-step timelapse and in real time methods. This is known as 4D micro-CT.
Extract and combine information from various length scales to quantify and model the overall sample behaviour.
Webinar: Micro-CT in Geosciences
Watch a webinar from Bruker introducing micro-CT and its applications in geology and geoscience.
- X-ray Micro-CT in Conjuction with Other Techniques for Core Analysis – Read the paper…
- Visualisation of fracture formation in porous limestone – Read the paper…
- Quantifying Porosity in Sandstone: How to assess accuracy? – Read the paper…
- Micro-CT/Micro-XRF Study of Reservoir Rocks – Read the paper…
- Applications of μCT in Metamorphic and Igneous Petrology – Read the paper…
- Visualisation of Phases inside a Porous Medium with X-ray microCT – Read the paper…
- Resolution Dependency of Sandstone’s Physical Properties – Read the paper…
- X-ray microtomography as a Visualization Tool for Fluid-Rock Interaction in the OceanicCrust – Read the paper…
- Isolation Technique for Reconstruction and Visualisation of Cracks in Geothermal Reservoir Rock – Read the paper…
- Oil Reservoir Rock Characterisation and Fluid Segmentation – Read the paper…
- Exploring Pore Contents in Ignimbrite – Read the paper…
Bruker SkyScan 1275
Automated, benchtop micro-CT with self-optimising features, so you can scan at the press of a button. Extremely fast image reconstruction – a practical way to add micro-CT capabilities to your facility.
Bruker SkyScan 2214
Multiscale nano-/micro-CT covering the widest range of resolutions. Sub-micron resolution and the world’s fastest hierarchical 3D reconstruction.
Bruker SkyScan 1273
Benchtop scanner for large and/or heavy objects up to 20kg. Ideal for rock samples, drill cores, etc.