In recent years X-ray Micro Computed Tomography (CT) has become established in the pharmaceutical industry as a vital analytical tool, enabling significant advances in product development, quality control and packaging.
Bruker’s SkyScan micro-CT instruments have been adopted by the world’s leading pharma companies, as well as academic research groups. They combine class-leading resolution and performance, with easy-to-use workflows.
Non-destructive 3D internal imaging – see inside your sample
Micro-CT is widely used in areas such as:
- Compaction density (porosity, pore size, distribution)
- Identify stress-induced micro-cracks
- Measure coating thickness and uniformity
- Distribution of active ingredients (total volume and percent volume)
- In-situ compression testing
Packaging & Sealing
- Seal integrity – locate gaps and leaks
- Compare changes to optimise your processes
- Measure component variation from your suppliers
Final Product Inspection
- Check component alignment – without opening the packaging
- Detect defects
- Quantitative 3D measurements
- Pre- and post- usage performance tests
- High throughput scanning of medical devices
- Non-destructive investigation – see where and how the failure occurred
- Root cause analysis
- Archive digital information
Tablet scanned with the Bruker SkyScan 2214
Micro-CT for the Pharmaceutical Industries Brochure
High-throughput Micro-CT with a Sample Changer
Automated scanning to save time. Ideal for comparing large numbers of samples and for quality control.
- Measuring polymer coatings on pharmaceutical tablets – Read the paper…
Bruker SkyScan 1275
Fast, self-optimising benchtop scanner. High quality scans at the press of a button.
Bruker SkyScan 1272
Sub-micron resolution from a benchtop system. World’s first scanner with >200Mp in each cross-section.
Bruker SkyScan 2214
Multi-scale nano-CT for the widest range of object sizes/ resolutions.