Solartron Modulab XM PhotoEchem
New IPCE Capabilities
The ModuLab XM PhotoEchem is a fully integrated photo-electrochemical measurement system for characterisation of:
- Perovskite solar cells
- DSSCs (Dye Sensitised Solar Cells)
- Water splitting anode development
- Photo-electrochemical systems
- Frequency and time domain measurement techniques:
- IMPS, IMVS, Impedance, PhotoVoltage Decay, Charge Extraction Techniques, I-V
- Calculate effective diffusion coefficients and electron lifetimes at the click of a button
- IPCE (Incident Photon to Current Efficiency) – further details below
Contact us for independent advice and quotes:
01223 422 269 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fully integrated optical and electrical measurement system.
- Auto-run and auto-analyse: Only 3 mouse clicks to enter, run and analyse complex DSSC tests with more than 300 individual steps! Ideal for researchers new to this field.
- Powerful, highly collimated and focused optics with > 0.1 Sun equivalent output.
- Reference detection technique for elimination of phase and magnitude errors, for high frequency IMPS and IMVS studies.
- Comprehensive range of techniques including IMPS/IMVS, EIS with light control, charge extraction and photovoltage decay.
- I-V analysis including fill factor, efficiency and power.
- NIST traceable calibration routines for repeatability and reproducibility.
- ND filter included with optical system for low light studies.
- IPCE add-on module with white bias light source as standard, for studying all photovoltaic and photoanode devices – details…
With the ability to auto-sequence techniques, the full suite of measurements can be run at a click of the mouse. Unlike other systems, the ModuLab XM PhotoEchem is designed to run measurements in sequence, requiring no user input.
Auto DSSC Analysis
Data can be auto-analysed with pre-programmed algorithms. Data is presented in graphical format, so you can quickly evaluate samples. In-depth information is provided, unavailable with simple I-V curve analysis alone.
The new IPCE (Incident Photon to Current Efficiency) add-on module enables Quantum Efficiency measurements of a wide range of photovoltaic materials. Unlike traditional light chopper-based IPCE test systems, this IPCE module uses the Solartron Frequency Response Analyser for improved signal to noise resolution. With built-in bias rejection, white bias measurements for non-linear cells are included as standard.
- Measure the efficiencey of photon flux to electron conversion in the range 350nm to 800nm
- White light bias source included as standard, for non-linear cell measurements
- 0.1 to 10Hz AC modulation technique for superior noise rejection at low frequencies
- Automatic determination of quantum efficiency and short circuit current
If you already have a PhotoEchem, it can be upgraded with the addition of the IPCE module – contact us for details.
IPCE spectrum of ionic liquid based dye cell with (blue) and without (red) white bias source
At the heart of the ModuLab XM PhotoEchem is a collimated and highly focused, high power light source:
- NIST traceable calibration of light sources
- High light intensity measurements – excellent thermal stability
- Control and measure up to 6 decades of light intensity
- Collimation and focusing optics
- Reference detection technique up to 100 kHz for solid state devices
NIST Traceable Results Packages
Each optical bench is equipped with a 10 MHz, fast Si Photodetector (developed specifically for the Solartron ModuLab XM). The NIST traceable sensor inside each detector is supplied with an individual factory calibration file. Users can refer all measurements in units of power per unit area, with accurate and repeatable results.
Excellent Thermal Stability
Alternative systems can experience poor LED temperature management, which can lead to significant output drift during the course of experiments, invalidating results. Under such circumstances the system may have a limited range of output power or require additional, expensive feedback control electronics to regulate the light source output.
The new ModuLab XM PhotoEchem incorporates high stability, high power LEDs, which offer excellent thermal stability and eliminate the need for feedback control loops.
Control and Measure up to 6 Decades of Light Intensity
The fast Si Photodetector has seven gain stages which provide excellent measurement resolution for very low level intensity studies. The 0.01 neutral density filter extends the range of the measurement possibilities to over 6 decades of intensity.
A two stage collimation and focussing optical arrangement delivers high power beams with > 0.1 Sun equivalent intensity and excellent homogeneity. This is achieved without alteration of the optical arrangement, ensuring repeatability of measurements.
The ModuLab XM PhotoEchem utilises powerful ModuLab frequency response analyser and potentiostat technology. Existing systems can be upgraded to ModuLab XM PhotoEchem with an option card and optical bench – contact us for details.
A comprehensive suite of standard electrochemical techniques is included:
- Cyclic Voltammetry (Staircase and Linear Sweep)
- Potentiostatic Steps
- Normal and Differential Pulse Techniques
- Potentiostatic and Galvanostatic Impedance (Single Sine or Multi-Sine FFT)
- AC Voltammetry
The ability to control the optical bench for each of these techniques opens up the possibility to develop further diagnostic techniques for DSSCs.