Bath EIS Summer School 2020
This year’s EIS Summer School has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Instead, this year there’ll be an online lecture on 14th July 2020. If you’re interested in attending, please contact Professor Frank Marken.
The EIS Summer School will return next year on 13-16 July 2021 at the University of Bath. It’s an electrochemistry training course with talks and hands-on sessions about Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy.Follow @blue_scientific
EIS Summer School
The EIS Summer School is a hands-on, intensive training course with leading experts from Bath, Bristol and Imperial College in collaboration with Solartron Analytical. It’s been running for more than twenty years, and delivers a solid foundation in the theory and applications of Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy.
Classes are taught in small groups with a strong emphasis on practical exercises. About 70% of the time is spent in the lab using instrumentation under the guidance of course demonstrators. This establishes a strong link between theory and experiment.
Lectures introduce the principles behind EIS. Comprehensive course materials will be provided.
Practical sessions begin by introducing the equipment. In the first two lab sessions, you will learn how to set up and interface the hardware, as well as troubleshooting problems. From there you will perform experiments chosen to demonstrate the principles and applications of frequency response analysis.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Operate frequency response analysers and PC-controlled potentiostats
- Interpret and fit impedance data using non-linear regression programmes
- Network analysis
- Impedance of electrochemical systems
- Frequency response analysis
- Solartron systems and software
- Electrical properties of materials
- Invited guest lecture (TBA)
- Getting to know the equipment
- Impedance of model circuits
- Impedance of a simple redox system
- Impedance of corroding metals – inhibitors
- Impedance of corrosion – polymer coatings
- Impedance of batteries
- Impedance of indirect fuel cells
- Impedance of solid oxide fuel cell materials
- Measurement of dielectric properties
- Measurement of membrane properties
The registration fee is £1150 for the four day intensive course. This includes:
- All course materials
- Practical laboratory costs
- Lunch each day
- Tea, coffee and refreshments
- Course dinner at a restaurant in Bath
Please note that accommodation is not included.
This year’s EIS Summer School has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Instead, there’ll be an online lecture on 14th July 2020. If you’re interested in attending, please contact Professor Frank Marken.
The course will be held at the University of Bath:
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Solartron Analytical potentiostats and electrochemical testing systems in the UK and Nordic region. If you have any questions, please get in touch: