EIS Summer School 2018, Bath
Register now for the EIS Summer School 2018 on 10-13 July 2018 at the University of Bath. Learn all about electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, with talks and hands-on sessions.
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Ametek potentiostats and electrochemical test instruments. For more information or quotes, please get in touch:
EIS Summer School 2018
The EIS Summer School is a popular electrochemistry training course that has been running for over 12 years. It’s designed to give you a solid foundation in the theory and applications of EIS (electrochemical impedance spectroscopy).
The course is taught in small groups, with a focus on practical sessions. 70% of the time is spent using instrumentation in the lab, under supervision of course tutors.
The talks introduce the principles and theory behind EIS methods. Supporting materials consist of full details from the presentations and experiments, a maths workbook and web-based learning support. Lectures will cover:
- Network analysis
- Impedance of electrochemical systems
- Frequency response analysis
- Solartron systems and software
- Electrical properties of materials
- Invited guest lecture by Dr Trevor Davis of the University of Chester
The practical sessions start with an introduction to the experimental apparatus used for impedance measurement. The first two sessions cover setting up and interfacing hardware, and how to troubleshoot problems. From there, activities focus on a range of experiments selected to demonstrate the principles and applications of frequency response analysis.
- Getting to know the equipment
- Impedance of:
- Model circuits
- Simple redox system
- Corroding metals – inhibitors
- Corrosion – polymer coatings
- Solar cells
- Solid oxide fuel cell materials
- Measuring dielectric properties
By the end of the course, participants will be able to operate frequency response analysers and PC-controlled potentiostats, as well as interpret and fit impedance data using non-linear regression programs.
Places on the course are limited to keep groups small and give everyone full access to the equipment.
This year’s summer school has now taken place. Follow Blue Scientific on Linked in or Twitter for updates about next year’s course, and see our Events page for listings of upcoming events and workshops.
Benefit from hands-on experience with potentiostats and electrochemical testing systems from Solartron Analytical, including:
- Solartron Modulab XM ECS – Market-leading impedance analysis. Measure ultra-low, micro-ohm impedance cells (such as latest generation batteries and fuel cells), as well as ultra-high impedance corrosion coatings at the other extreme.
- Solartron EchemLab XM – Potentiostat/FRA for corrosion, coatings and physical electrochemistry. Part of the AppsLab range of small footprint, lower budget systems for specific applications.