For bone research, micro-CT is faster than histology or slicing. Acquire a scan in 10-15 minutes (medium resolution) or a few hours (high resolution) and generate 3D reconstructions in minutes.
In dental applications, microtomography delivers fine, highly detailed images at micrometre scale. It’s non-destructive, so you can take multiple scans, as well as virtual slices and flights through your sample.
Micro-CT is non-destructive and faster than histology or slicing
Micro-CT (aka XRM or X-Ray Microscopy) is an extremely versatile technique. If your area of interest isn’t mentioned here, please get in touch.
- Bone disease models
- Pre-clinical imaging
- Volume analysis
- Fractures and healing
- Cartilage analysis
Separate trabecular and cortical bone automatically with a technique called the morphological escalator.
Helical micro-CT, or spiral scanning, reduces artefacts and ensures true reconstructions that accurately represent your sample. It greatly reduces artefacts in orthopaedic research, where metal screws are implanted in bone.
Root Canal Studies
Interview with Dr Marco Versiani about 3D root canal studies at the University of Sao Paulo:
- Bone imaging and analysis with microCT: Exploring the possibilities
- Endodontic applications of microcomputed tomography for studying root canals
- Longitudinal 4D monitoring of bone mass and architecture and (re)modeling events using in vivo micro-CT
- A universal microCT analysis pipeline for bone preclinical disease models
- Nanoporosity of bone engineered scaffolds
- Combining micro-CT and Digital Volume Correlation to predict local deformation in bone
- Micro-CT evaluation of PRF induced bone growth
- In vivo bone formation mediated by growth factor containing clay gels
- Micro-CT imaging of surgical screw tightening in human trabecular bone
- Examination of human bone regeneration using a replacement model for animal research
- Microstructural changes in the bone tissue and in the bone callus of diabetic rats with and without insulin treatment
- Micro-CT analysis in the development of in vitro alternative method for the study of bone metastases
- Relating Compressive Properties of Human Trabecular Bone to Morphometric Parameters Obtained by MicroCT
- Identification of Biphenyl-Carboxylic Acid Derivatives as a Novel Class of Bone Resorption Inhibitors
- Micro-CT applications in dental biomaterials
- Heat-induced alterations of dental tissues: Implications for the identification of fire victims
- Polymerisation shrinkage in dental composite restorations
- Visualising synthetic dental biofilm on teeth using micro computed tomography
X-Ray Microscopy Instruments
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Bruker SkyScan XRM systems in the UK, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Norway and Iceland. We’re available to answer all your questions and provide quotes, as well as service and applications support.
Bruker SkyScan 1275
Fast, automated scanner. Self-optimising features for high quality images every time.
Bruker SkyScan 1273
Benchtop micro-CT for large objects, up to 500mm long, that would previously have required a larger, floor-standing system.