ChromaCL2 iBSED Detector
Live colour cathodoluminescence imaging for your SEM
The Gatan ChromaCL2 iBSED detector is a color cathodoluminescence imaging system for SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopes). The system is particularly useful in petrographic and earth sciences, because colour CL imaging can reveal geochemical processes.
- Reveal macro- and micro-texture in sedimentary rocks including sediment source, degree of compaction, diagenetic history, differentiation of authigenic and detrital minerals, cementation history and provenance
- Simultaneous image collection: Topography, composition and colour CL images from one pass of the electron beam
- High-efficiency detection for fast data collection, high spatial resolution and less e-beam damage, which can cause data misinterpretation
- Carbonate imaging kit to overcome phosphorescence from certain carbonate minerals
- Field stitching software for a virtually unlimited field of view
Live colour cathodoluminescence imaging is used in mineral analysis labs all over the world. Interpret geochemistry changes in all fields, from oil and gas exploration to geochronology and mineral growth studies.
Color CL images reveal phase and trace element distribution changes in minerals. This makes it easier to visualise texture, including:
- Chemical overprinting and overgrowths
- Growth zonation
- Internal healed fractures
- …and more
Choose options to tailor the ChromaCL2 to suit your laboratory:
ChromaCL2 UV system
This option enables you to detect UV (ultraviolet) wavelengths as well as the visible spectrum. This expands the range of minerals you can analyse to include quartz, zircon, diamond and other minerals that give CL emission outside the visible spectrum. Ultraviolet wavelengths will be displayed in false color.
Integrated Back Scattered Electron Detector (iBSED)
Detection of secondary and back scattered electrons, and cathodoluminescence simultaneously.
Image Carbonate-Based Minerals
Carbonate-based minerals can often appear streaky in scanned CL images due to phosphorescence. This option expands the range of minerals you can analyse. This can reveal hidden textures that would otherwise be obscured by streaking.
Survey large areas of a specimen with automatic montages. Gatan’s DigitalMicrograph software controls the SEM stage and electron beam to acquire a series of images that are stitched together to give you a larger field of view.