All About Cathodoluminescence – A New Website from Gatan: WhatisCL.info
A new website from Gatan focusing on cathodoluminescence, to help you get the most from the technique and to introduce new people to what’s possible with SEM/TEM-based CL.Follow @blue_scientific
New Cathodoluminescence Website
Gatan have launched a new website called WhatIsCL.info with cathodoluminescence resources, for TEM/SEM users and anyone interested in learning more about the technique.
What is Cathodoluminescence?
Cathodoluminescence, also known as CL, is a powerful microscopy technique for characterising composition, optical and electronic properties at the nanoscale. The technique has several key benefits:
- Sub-nm spatial resolution.
- Data correlates with structural information.
- Provides a wealth of data: morphology (eg size, shape), composition, chemistry, crystallography, electronic properties and more.
More details are available in our article:
With systems from Gatan, CL can be added to your SEM or (S)TEM to access more information about your samples.
Resources Available on the Website
The new website from Gatan is designed to help you get the most from your cathodoluminescence experiments, and also to provide information to those unfamiliar with the technique.
An introduction to cathodoluminescence as a technique, when to use it and an overview of the various modes of operation, such as polarisation, time-resolved, ARCL and WARCL.
How CL can be used in various fields, with links to useful application notes and webinars:
- Rocks, minerals and gems
- Semiconductors – process development, nanostructures and devices
- Ceramics, oxides and nitrides
- Analysing radiation
- Organic molecules – including biological specimens, pharmaceuticals and polymers
How to prepare samples, perform experiments, optimise settings and analyse data, with tips and tricks. Includes how to collect maps, spectra and emission patterns, as well as spectrum imaging.
Search for publications, example images and videos related to your application or technique.
Add cathodoluminescence to your microscope with these systems from Gatan. As always, we’re available to advice on which would be most suitable for your area of work – just get in touch.
Monarc CL Detector
Next generation system for SEM
- Unmatched spatial, angular and wavelength resolution.
- 30x faster than other CL detectors.
- Large field of view.
Vulcan CL Detector
- Suitable for a wide range of samples.
- Combine with other techniques.
- Compatible with Gatan EELS systems for correlating absorption and emission processes.
ChromaCL2 iBSED Detector
For geology and geoscience
- Live, colour CL imaging.
- Reveal geochemical processes.
- Visualise texture easily.
- Automated montages for a large field of view.
Blue Scientific is Gatan’s official distributor in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland. We’re available to answer all your questions and provide quotes – just get in touch: